In my opinion, every holiday needs a garland, even the ones overlooked. A simple garland can add a little holiday festivity to your home. We don’t decorate much for St. Patrick’s Day, but my children are at an age where they are looking for a bit o’ leprechaun luck come March 17th.
Easy green decorations that I can throw up the week of St. Patty’s Day helps us celebrate the luck o’ the Irish. So, I was excited to design this no-sew shamrock garland that will last for years to come. It’s very easy to make, and you only need three supply items that you probably have stashed in your craft box.
Here’s how to make it…
Supplies: Scissors, baker’s twine, two felt sheets cut into 4 rectangles
2. About 1/2 inch up from the corner of the folded felt triangle, cut two humps like the top of a heart. Make sure not to cut the folded sides of the triangle. Once it’s cut out, your folded triangle will now be a folded heart.
3. On the folded side of the heart, cut a tiny slit (big enough to thread your twine through) about 1-2 centimeters from the bottom point. The smaller the slit the better because it will help pucker up the clover so it is not flat but more 3-D.
5. Unfold the heart and now its in the shape of a four-leaf clover with two small holes. Then take the extra felt fabric from scraps and cut out a long rectangle for the stem and at the top of the stem, cut a hole.
6. Next cut your twine longer than your preferred garland length. Thread the twine through the holes on the four-leaf clover and stem. Turn it over and tie a double knot. The clover should pucker out a little from the felt being pulled. Cut the stem down if needed.
7. Continue to fold, cut and tie until your twine becomes a shamrock garland.
Hang and enjoy!
copyright 2013 liz stanley // all rights reserved
Hi there! I'm Liz Stanley. Born and raised a New Yorker, plus a few newlywed years in charming Hoboken, I now live in the fairytale city of San Francisco with my husband and son. This blog is a collection of simple ideas for making your home and life more crafty and stylish. MORE >>>